The ASEAN Member States (AMS) have long recognised the value of protecting and supporting ecosystems and biodiversity in the region. All member countries have taken actions to protect biodiversity through various national legislations and policies. Moreover, the AMS are Parties to multilateral environmental agreements such as the Convention on Biological Diversity, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
Consistent with the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025 key result area of “Conservation and Sustainable Management of Biodiversity and Natural Resources”, the ACB will enhance its support to the AMS in their efforts to conserve biodiversity. Efforts will focus on the following:
- Protected Areas Management and Other Effective Area-Based Conservation Measures (OECM);
- Species Conservation;
- Invasive Alien Species Prevention and Management;
- Coastal and Marine ecosystem;
- Ecosystem Restoration; and
- Access and Benefit Sharing